Pages


Sunday, February 3, 2008

This haas is clean

My last day at work was supposed to be last Friday, I had it planned to only see one client, and the rest of the day was going to be reserved for finishing up paperwork, and saying goodbye to the few people that populate the office on Fridays. I would be a free woman, except....another ice storm! Or, "wintry mix" as the meteorologists like to call it. Of all days, the offices are closed. No exit interview, no paperwork, no easy out. They all had a really nice luncheon with cards and even a few gifts on Thursday since it is really a skeleton crew on Fridays. It would have been perfect. So now, I am getting out clothes for tomorrow to go in on a busy Monday. I am hoping to get my stuff done and get out. Friday was a really great day though. The kids were home and they got along so well, all day. Nobody even mentioned TV until afater 3pm - unheard of in these parts! I cleaned and organized my laundry room and rec room, I even did the kitchen. Now, for those of you that know me, know my house and housekeeping skills...you know this is an achievement. I was ready to go, I wanted to do more but the undersides of my feet hurt. (Shoes would have helped) At the end of the day I felt like that weird little chick from "Poltergeist", you know, at the end of the movie where she triumphantly stands with her tousseled little bun in the living room and declares 'this haas is clean!' in her chipmunk drawl.

As the last few weeks of my employment have dwindled, I had increasing moments of panic, like I was walking the plank. I would think, 'what have I done? I am going to be home all the time, what am I going to do!?!?!?!' But after Friday, I am reminded of what a treat it can be to keep a house. It was a blessing to me and my family to have half a house clean.(oh, I also did every blessed piece of laundry, AND folded it right out of the dryer). I am looking forward to doing a better job at it, as well as having some *gasp* free time to read or scrap. I am actually getting kind of excited about getting back into keeping track of my families memories.

It isn't that I abhor cleaning or keeping house, I just get bored with it and get lazy. But I love a clean and well organized home. Just one of my tells of being that lazy perfectionist. I hope my enthusiasm lasts. Although I will have to recooperate after that blitkrieg. I am SO lame after sitting on my butt for 23 out of the 24 hours in the day over the last year that even that bit of physical exertion totally crippled me! I am so ashamed ;) My GF was over on Saturday and we hot tubbed it with Will but I have yet to be able to get up out of the chair with any momentum. Sad. Maybe I should go bowling?

4 comments:

  1. NO bowling. You won't be able to walk without a cane! :)

    Great job getting all that done! Doesn't it feel good?!

    Hot tub? No fair! I should've come over and crashed in it after my bowling aches and pains!! Next time I bowl you'll know because there I will be, sitting in your hot tub. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime!! Although we might want to let the kids in afterward. I noticed pretty early on that will had a big boogie, then all of a sudden, it wasn't there. Well after a while we turned off the jets and just sat in the still, semi-clear(i use that term loosely) water, lo and behold what goes floating right past my chest but a big ol' piece of brain! Thanks Will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that's just wrong. I think I'll pass on the hot tub for now.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I move on to a new phase, I seem to suffer from decompression of some sort. I think after I finished my thesis it took me three months before I could simply read a novel without that nagging feeling that I should be making better use of my time! :)

    ReplyDelete