Pages


Tuesday, February 19, 2008

my demise?

Well, it is official. This class is going to kill me. I had an exam last night, I don't remember if I complained about it specifically in my last blog or not but I don't want to go back and check. So, let me just say that the average grade for the class was 56. Yes, that is correct, 56%, like out of 100%. Now I am nothing if not modest, but I would like to add that mine was slightly higher, slightly. 50 questions. multiple choice no less. apparently taken from material that our class was not privvy to.

I am slightly angry at this point, I don't expect it to be easy, nor do I want him to spoon feed us the info directly from the literature. He explained to us that exam questions directly from the readings were appropriate for bachelors level, not masters. oh. pardon me. But perhaps you could give us questions that are somewhat relevant to the work we just neglected our families, homes, (and for some, personal hygiene) for!? I know there are people who studied far more than me and no one did well. So why bother? Is this some teaching technique that I am not familiar with? C'mon, I know there are teachers reading this, divulge! It's torture isn't it, it isn't really techniqe. There is sadism behind this, I know it!

There is a happy ending, he curved it 28 points. Go figure. No,no don't write applicable questions, just provide the most anxiety provoking experience of my academic career to date ( I think I might have PTSD now) and then throw in some extra, unearned points. I think everybody will be happy with that.

6 comments:

  1. holy CURVE ball, Batman! Brian is only finishing his bachelor's right now and I'm having a hard enough time with that. His plan is to get a Master's....perhaps he should get an apartment for that!

    So sorry that you have been cursed (or blessed...you never know) to have such a d!ck for a professor.

    I have great faith that you will prevail & "come out on the other side OK"...

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, I forgot to add in the previous post....I returned your love...go look. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally think that teachers like that don't get it. Regardless whether a class is bachelors or masters level, a professor is supposed to teach information and the class is supposed to be able to do something with that information. Whether recreating it on a test, applying it in a project, etc. the goal of a teacher should be to get the student to learn and use the information. When you give a test that a class bombs, the class didn't bomb, the teacher did. That kind of teacher is just on a power trip. Definitely not someone who inspires you to reach higher and farther! Grrr!! I'm mad for you! :)

    On a positive note, hang in there! It's obvious that you are not alone. He can't fail everyone! Colleges generally frown on that. :) And you only have a few weeks to go. (really! Even if it's 10 weeks it will be behind you before you know it!) Take each project, test one thing at a time and you'll be amazed by what you can do! If I can do a class presentation on sex education, you can do anything! :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH righteous anger!! I get really ticked when I hear of teachers or profs pulling this kind of crap. Err... Sorry you have to deal with it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for my affirmations girls, and for the love! ( I did go check Kat, I left some back)

    You're right Tiff, the class didn't bomb, he did. I didn't think of it like that.

    Yesssss...Righteous anger. Right on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally unrelated comment..first, I added new music & second, ♥, alt 3 (from the number keyboard) will make ♥'s

    ReplyDelete