Pages


Thursday, February 21, 2008

mid life crisis

I was just visiting an old friends blog and listened to some of her new tunes. Her new tunes usually consist of hippie bands or hair bands, but just the same, I like them. I scrolled down and listened to a Gin blossoms song and it was painful. I know, I know, it is the Gin Blossoms after all (sorry kat). Seriously though, they were all that several years ago and I even had the cassette. But it was painful in that way that only certain sensory elements can grab you and throttle you sometimes, like smells, music is incredibly evocative for me.

Instantly I was hit by the wave. I was just starting out, I had just graduated from college, just bought my first new car, just moved to Phila., just moved into possibly the best apartment ever, just started a great job in a big hospital, and was shoring up the romantic relationship that was to be my last. It was all exciting, scary, but empowering. I was in my very early 20's but I felt I had done all the things an early 20's chick should have done-dated and partied. Now I was done with all that, I was moving on to adulthood and it felt great. I did not fear the movement into the next phase of my life at all.

The song comes in because I used to listen to it frequently (on my tape deck) in that brand new car on the way to work. I thought I had everything wrapped up. I had the world by the short one so to speak. I didn't fear anything.

Over the next 15 or so years things have continued to be more or less great, and fairly routine. Nothing shocking or unusual. Hmmm......

I think back to those times and I realize that the reason that everything was great and I didn't really fear anything is because I had the rest of my life to do whatever I wanted. I had no limitations. I wasn't too old for anything! I know I am not old-old, but it is a little late for some things. I sort of feel like I have been carelessly meandering down this road and now I see where I am heading and I want to slow down or go back a little. My kids are growing up so fast, our young family is maturing and soon I will be sending them off. There are so many things that I enjoy that I think "a girl almost 40 should be more mature". I never, ever, ever want to be the lady that doesn't know she is middle aged. You know, the one who still shops at Abercrombie even though she is 50. Please lady, go across the hall to Eddie Bauer.

Anyway, I have felt over the last few years (pretty much after 35 for me and after the toddler years for the kids) that even though I am looking forward to the next phase(s), I fear them because they are one more phase closer to the end. And I am afraid they won't be as sweet as the last. I guess I just don't feel older sometimes, but I know that I am.

11 comments:

  1. oh, teresa....if only we knew as 20 somethings what we know now. I'm not saying that I would do anything different with my life, except for maybe wait....on a lot of things. But, unfortunately for us, God had His plan laid out for us, and all we can do is follow the course. Although, sometimes, we have to step outside of the box, the comfort zone....when your comfortable, change usually does not occur, but when we step outside of that comfort zone, change will usually occur. My point in this being, that when we are young, usually we are so blinded by what lies right in front of us, and we bask in that comfort (at least, some of us do, especially if you have never really had it) and we think that we have "been there, done that" with all that life has to offer. (I'm rambling, again, I know).

    I'm sorry that my music brought about such a response from you...I generally tend to flock to the hippie stuff because of what it reminds me of....a place in time in my life where music really was my boyfriend. I lived for myself with no worries. If I needed change, I wasn't afraid to step out of the box because being uncomfortable didn't much matter at that time; to me, then, change was inevitable, and the mundane was out of the question. Now mundane (or monotony as the case may be) is the new comfort zone. Again, rambling...I feel like Mater on Cars when he is going on about some truck that he used to date and Lightning McQueen says "Mater, WHAT are you talking about" to which Mater replies "I don't know"...that is my life.

    ps: If I knew the names of some of the newer artists that I like, I would include their songs...whenever I'm faced with putting up music, I am challenged to come up with stuff that I like in the here & now and my mind always goes back....way back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are wonderful no matter how old you feel/think you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, as your upper 30something friend, I am totally depressed now. Thanks, T! :(

    :) haha

    It is sobering to realize we are getting ready to be in our 40's. How did THAT happen?

    One thing that I do all the time, and I have to be careful to not do it with my life, too, is to wish away where I'm at. "Oh, if I was only ___ I could do ____ again." And I forget that there are some pretty great things about being right where I am - I am mature, I have experience, I have wisdom that only comes from living life, I have watched a family being born into creation and I get to watch it grow every day. Yes, the day when the kids are gone is approaching faster than we can imagine, but then you reach a new great phase of watching them become their own people, freedom to travel, etc. Each phase has its great moments. I guess we have to focus on them (and forget what age we are! :) haha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. kat-totally not dissing the music, I love your tunes! And no reason to be sorry, it happens all the time.

    I do love where I am at, I love the life I have and even if I could, I wouldn't go back. I just get that stunned reaction sometimes when you realize just how much time has gone by. I don't dwell on it too often or for too long, but sometimes I do get a little freaked out.

    There are a lot of perks to being almost 40. There has been a lot of living, learning, and growing. I like the person I am now much more than the person I was. It is so true that the older you get, the more you realize how much you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T - you said that "I like the person I am now much more than the person I was."

    I totally agree, although I think of it as being more comfortable with who I am now.

    I think that the older I get, the more I figure out who I was created to me and am more comfortable juts being that person. I am able to narrow down some areas of focus, but I also feel more free to explore other opportunities since I feel that I've established a secure foundation.

    One of the best things, though, is the quality of friendships. By now, we're all moving into this new place, and we are able to support each other in all of our differences. There isn't the assumption that we have to be alike as much, but that our diversity is what makes these relationships richer.

    The only down side, I'm not so crazy about the back of my thighs anymore; but I try to be grateful for their strength and endurance, and I'm getting the hang of what looks best over them - so it works ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy, you are too funny. True, my thighs are not something that I have grown to like better. But aside from that...I agree, I am more comfortable with who I am and have more insight into being who I was created to be and just being ok with it. I have (almost) always tried to be somewhat of my own antithesis.

    I think the comfortableness comes with maturing. and learning. self-discovery. all that stuff :)

    It really isn't a bad place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! You! Where did your blog go? Thank you for the ♥ you gave to mine....what a pleasant surprise (definitely better than the "surprises" Daniel leaves for me!) I keep meaning to ask...how is WW going? Are you on track? I hope you're doing better than I. I'm always on track at breakfast & dinner...it's in between where I falter. You know, I get so busy with getting lunch for the boys & then naps, then it's time to start making supper, that I just go for the old reliable quick & easy. Lipo-sculpt is quick & easy...maybe I'll go for that ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. What blog?

    And ww is going, sort of. I lost 10 big ones the first 2 weeks and that was 2 weeks ago and that is where I have stayed. The choc chip cookies for breakfast don't help though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have decided that I depending upon your blog & my response, I will post it to either TN (Teresa Now) or TT (Teresa Then)...

    You just need to use my method of weight watchers....if you don't write it down, it doesn't taste good, or you are only finishing something (like the kids leftovers), it doesn't count. It is like most things in life, it looks good on paper but won't stand up in court!

    ps: glad I'm still able to amuse you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listen, I love you & all, but I need something new to read...my voyeuristic side needs to be fed (how's THAT for a multisyllabic word?).

    Anyway, I have to read up on flylady.com & then come up with a plan of action. Prior experiences have shown me that while trying to do something constructive in one room tends to lead to total destruction by the two beasts in all other rooms, thus starting a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete