Pages


Monday, January 17, 2011

Desert Island Discs

Does any one remember this radio program? 
I haven't heard it in years. How about the King Biscuit Flour Hour?

I loved them both. No, I am not a heavy metal freak chic. My tastes are likely not as refined as yours. I am not a songstress, I can't carry a tune. I don't read music and don't play an instrument. I'm not hip to the industry. 

Are ya pickin' up what I'm puttin' down? 

But I do love music. It moves me. It's a mood shifter.

DID triggered an unceasing quest to assemble my own list of eight. It is a list that has never been completed. I can easily select eight, the problem lies in selecting only eight. I don't even know why this is important or why I have spent innumerable hours contemplating. I guess maybe it isn't that important, but it is fun to really think about the music and why you love it and why it should make it onto your short list.

If you aren't familiar with DID, then you can read about it here.
Each week a new celebrity castaway submitted his choice of eight pieces of music, one book and one luxury item. The luxury item could not be used for communication or escape. The castaway also provided reasons for their choices and discussed their life.


So, let's assume that along with the eight pieces of music, you would, of course, have something to play it on. Don't waste your luxury item on an MP3 player. Silly. And let's also be generous and say a piece is an entire album.
Here are my current choices. I am so fickle, really quite noncommittal when it comes right down to it. As I list them I recoil with angst, "really? do i really want THAT one?" But here they are anyway. For now. Subject to change without further notice.
Comment yours!




8


1. Led Zeppelin-In Through The Out Door

2. The Clash-London Calling

3. Radiohead-In Rainbows

4. Beach Boys-Pet Sounds

5. Death Cab For Cutie-Transatlanticism

6. Fleetwood Mac-Fleetwood Mac

7. The Velvet Underground-Loaded

8. David Bowie-Young Americans (yeah, that's right)

My luxury item?
Coloring books (cool ones, not Star Wars or CatDog) and colored pencils

My book?
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I was surprised by the Beach Boys, and thinking back, my guess is that one is more nostolgia.? I just remember Led Zepplin every time I came to your house. Backward and forward ;) What a great list. I don't know if I ever could compile a list like that. I am definately checking out DID now..

    ReplyDelete