Pages


Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Huh.

I thought I was so original. You can imagine my dismay when I googled The Lazy Perfectionist, thinking it just might show my blog, and all sorts of hits came up!!! How could this be? I thought of this term. It was conjured solely to be concisely descriptive of my essence! This was me, not the guy on wordpress who is obviously very into computer programming and Japan and goes by the same moniker. There is even a thread from some poor mother getting advice for her 9 year old lazy perfectionist. This term came to me in one of the many car trips to work in which I ponder my general disposition and major malfunctions. It was, well... perfect.

Alas, it was not as original as I believed. I was however, listed about halfway down the page. woo hoo. And although someone thought of it before me, it fits nonetheless.

I thought this thread was particularly interesting:

habits of procrastinators #6
Perfectionism is just another excuse not to finish what you start, and is the realm of the true procrastinator. Or you could just be lazy and can't be bothered to start anything. Either way, you're not going to change - are you?

Is perfectionism just an excuse not to finish anything?
Are you the kind of person who puts off doing things because:
conditions aren't quite right;
you're not in the right frame of mind;
whatever you are doing won't meet your own high standards;
you're afraid that if you can do it once people will expect you to keep on producing to the same high standards;

OK, first things first:
Standards and expectations are subjective. What you might consider easy, someone else may find difficult and vice versa. Brain surgery is not considered difficult for a brain surgeon.
So the next question is - if the item is well within your capabilities - why aren't you doing it and doing it to the best of your abililty? Are you waiting for something or someone to jolt you out of your miserable way of thinking? Or are you waiting for some unseen point in the future? I'll wait until the kids leave home before I...; I'll go on that diet once I've eaten all the "bad" food we have in the fridge; I'll wait until i've won a million on the lottery before I... or until great aunt dorothy dies and leaves me that house in the 'burbs! Put it like this - you might be waiting an awful long time.
If the item(s) are outside your normal zone of comfort - the next question has to be asked - why aren't you willing to challenge yourself and your thinking? If you are not willing to challenge yourself you might as well go and buy a long box and go and sit in it. The effects are about the same.
It seems to me - that perfectionism is just an excuse - either not to finish anything that you start, or not to bother starting anything in the first place. So what happens? You burn the midnight oil to get whatever it is completed, because you failed to start "it" at a reasonable time. You probably justified your actions by finding other more "important" things to do. And because you managed to get something finished and handed in - OK it wasn't your best effort, well you didn't have time did you....you feel justified in deluding yourself that it is OK to keep on delaying and putting things off, until you can do so no longer. In the real world - extensions just don't happen. Does this form of procrastination serve you any better than standing in a corner with your arms folded across your chest, saying - no, I'm not going to do that - because I don't want to...so there!!
Probably not, at least you would be less stressed (out of work perhaps) but less stressed, but at least you'd be honest with yourself and everyone around you.
So stop dotting the i's and crossing the t's !! and just get on with it. Now is all the time there is, so stop wasting it. It might be a cliche, but it is also true that you only have one shot at today and every day at your life - do you want to get to the end of it, sitting in your long box wondering what might have been.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...Thought provoking. Although I come to it from a completely different angle - I truly am lazy and am not a perfectionist. But the principles in this post still apply to the lazy people. That's the beauty of it. :)

    P.S. Stop Blogging and just get to it already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from one lazy-perfectionist-procrastinator to another: Ouch!

    Where did you find that thread? Don't answer that. Did you feel a bit scolded?

    I think I'll go fold the laundry, that is if I can get past the sensation of a ruler being rapped across my knuckles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was not prepared for that! I never thought a sports cup would be necessary for reading a blog with flowers on the layout! Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I procrastinate when I am not sure what to do. I seem to wait until I can figure out what the "perfect" solution is. The only problem is that sometimes there is no "perfect" solution so nothing gets done and something, even though not perfect, would be better than nothing. I know this about myself but haven't figured out how to "perfectly" fix it so I am not doing anything about it!

    What about you? Are you going to change your ways?

    That's it! My perfect solution....let you change first and then I will....that is if it works.

    And if you do change, you'd have to change your Blog Title...and Google it first to see how original you really are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great insight! This brought to mind something that I learned several years ago from Ecclesiastes 11:4-6 (4) Anyone who keeps watching the wind won't plant seeds. Anyone who keeps looking at the clouds won't gather crops....God knew that this would be a common thread that ran through all of us. (love the footnote on this in my Bible): Waiting for perfect conditions will mean inactivity. This practical insight is especially applicable to our spiritual life. If we wait for the perfect time and place for personal Bible reading, we will never begin. If we wait for a perfect church, we will never get involved. If we wait for the perfect ministry, we will never serve. Take steps now to grow spiritually. Don't wait for conditions that may never exist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hipgranny - well, when you put it that way! I appreciate your wise insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hipgranny- It is so true. Applying it to my spiritual life wasn't something I immediately thought of, and I love the references you used. Waiting for perfect conditions causes us to stagnate, conditions are never perfect. The thread really laid it out there, but it has really made me think, and want to challenge my current, and very comforatble ways of thinking, doing, and rationalizing.

    ReplyDelete