Pages


Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Whew

It's over. I have put in my notice at work and I will be able to focus on school and family after February 1. Going back to work almost a year ago was not something I wanted to do wholeheartedly. I worried that my life would spiral out of control, I would never have time to do anything, that I would fail at school, and make myself and my family miserable. I did it primarily because I had a stipulation to fulfill for my studies. Well, the past year has resembled what I anticipated, although perhaps not to the degree I had imagined. Yes, things were more difficult managing home and family, relationships were neglected, but overall it was an experience I am glad I am not without. It has shown me a new appreciation for working moms, not to mention single working moms (a big shout out to all of you who do it!), and I have gained a perspective on the human condition that I didn't expect. There is some ambivalence, however. There is a part of me that really longs to be productive. I know, I know...being a wife and mom is productive. Being involved and interested in your family pays big dividends. No arguments from me. I don't want a job or career at the expense of that, but I want more. Having the mental and intellectual stimulation of colleagues, operating in a dynamic that is challenging, being fiscally rewarded for such, having a reason to get up, wear make-up and nice clothes...these are little things but they do a lot for self-worth. I really (for the most part) enjoyed my job, loved (for the most part :) the people I worked with, and enjoyed the aforementioned perks. But I am certain it is time to retreat a bit. Take my time back to study without guilt, tend to some parched relationships, clean my house ( I will do this in February), and enjoy being at home with my kids. Jeff says he knows what I am going to be doing with all of the time I gain, blogging. lol. (he thinks I can be a bit obsessive at times) I don't know about that, but it sure feels good to not cringe when the thought of taking on a new task comes up. And so, I am looking forward to returning to my life, and nourishing the parts that have been starved.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I stopped by your blog to get the scoop!! You did it! I totally get your feelings around wanting to feel the rewards you don't feel necessarily as a wife or mom! I guess you have to find the rewards in different ways. They are there, we just have to look for them a little harder I think.

    I was totally feeling in limbo when I stopped student teaching last week. I wandered around the house looking at all there is to do and feeling overwhelmed and blue. I'm happy to say I'm getting back into the swing of things, so give yourself some time. Things will feel good again soon!

    Oh, and one more perk - we can talk on the phone in the day again! :) haha

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read that you are waiting until February to clean your house I decided that we should be friends.

    Hehe! Then I realized that you won't actually be done with work until February. Even still you seem to have immaculate taste in friends and music (Feist and Modest Mouse? Oh yeah!!) Now.. What are your feelings on chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiff- I can't wait! It will be nice to have a more leisurely pace for a while!

    Anna- ummm, the darker the better? And I am almost ashamed to admit how in love with Feist I am right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I it so nice to hear what has ben going on in your life again...I feel out of touch! Love the site and get to hear from you. Get a cleaning lady--that's what I do!!(lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't begin to describe the selfish pleasure it gives me to know that you'll be just around the corner again! If it makes you feel better, we can alternate the sweatshirts with the "wear make-up and nice clothes" bit when we get together. :-) xox

    ReplyDelete