Pages


Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Gam

Some of you may have known that my dear Gammy has been ill for a while. She was diagnosed with lung cancer 4 years ago. Over the past few months she has been declining very fast with a most recent diagnosis of Alzheimer's. Hospice has been involved and very helpful. She was able to get out and visited us for Thanksgiving. She took a rapid dive from then until Christmas, passing away on Christmas morning. She was a really wonderful grandmother, and one very dear to my heart. She had always been very involved with the three granddaughters she had, and loved her great grandsons to a fault. I was her first granddaughter, and so I enjoyed her the longest. I don't know if my sons will ever really understand how much she loved them, but I know the depth of it, I was on the receiving end of it too. As a kid, I spent many nights, sometimes weeks in the summertime at her house. I was the queen of the castle. Nightly baths, always with a special purple towel to dry off with, (don't forget in between your toes!), being tucked in between really crisp and clean white sheets under a floral purple comforter. Shopping trips, talks about all sorts of things...in a lot of ways, she was my refuge from a childhood that really wasn't. She was my little Gammy, all 95 pounds of her. She demonstrated to me what it was to be a lady, and instilled a degree of refinement.

I have been blessed to not have lost anyone in my adult years that has ever been this close, and now that she is gone, for the first time, I understand the void that is felt. Not only the sadness and sometimes regret, but like a part of you is missing. I can't say I am all that fond of it. I have dealt with death lots and lots of times at work, usually handled it OK. I have always known it is not for me though. I don't like to think about it, talk about it, I abhor funerals, least of all, I don't like to contemplate my family's involvement in it. It puts me in a state of anxiety and depression, so I just altogether ignore it. Denial can be a really great coping mechanism.

Ah, I am making it sound like I am a basket case, which really I am not, more rambling than anything.

Despite the start of the day, we elected to not tell the kids,(maybe tomorrow)and we had a decent day. We spent it with family, and it was good. From here we are moving on, making arrangements today. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Rambling, as you put it, is the one of the most important aspects of grieving - sharing how much our loved one meant to us, reviewing aloud all of our shared memories and the impact that they had on our life, their quirks and foibles - these are all ways in which we acknowledge and absorb our loss.

    Ramble away, and we can know this extraordinary woman through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Teresa! I am so sorry for your loss! I know how special your Gammy was to you. It's hard to lose a grandparent! I remember Grandpop's passing so clearly still even though it's been a few years now! I will be praying for you and your family as you celebrate her life.

    Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until I see you, hopefully today, I'm hugging you in my heart.

    I love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete